This is my absolute favorite recipe for homemade hot cocoa! It’s such a treat while the weather is still cold, so whether you’re staying warm at home or heading out for a late-winter camping trip in your new or used RV from RV Country, this recipe is going to become a standby! It’s easy to make and, bonus: you can make it on the stove top or in your Crock Pot! Let’s get going!
Creamy Homemade Hot Cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 6 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish (optional) – your choice of the following:
- Aerosol whipped cream
- Marshmallows (heart shaped ones are perfect for Valentine’s day!)
- Chopped Andes candies
- Chopped Heath bar
- Chocolate or caramel sauce
You’ll also need:
- 3 quart sauce pot or Crock Pot
- Slow cooker liners (if using Crock Pot)
- Stirring spoon or whisk
- If you’ll be using your Crock Pot, line it now. This will make clean up SO much easier!
- Place all ingredients except for any garnishes into your Crock Pot and heat on low heat until heated through and the chocolate chips are melted.
- If using the cooktop, place all ingredients in your sauce pot and heat over medium-low heat until the chocolate chips are thoroughly melted, whisking and stirring until it’s smooth. Be patient with this. If you heat it at a higher temperature, the milk can scorch and burn on the bottom.
- Ladle into cups and garnish with whatever you want! My kids prefer a dollop of whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, but it’s up to you!
I keep these ingredients in my pantry year-round. It’s a perfect and cozy drink for cold weather, but I love chocolate all the time, and this rich and delicious homemade hot cocoa never disappoints, even in warm weather. Make sure to take the ingredients with you on all of your camping trips this year! Contact us today if we can help you pick out the perfect new or used RV or schedule some RV service before you get on the road!